We know the sad fact that women are subject to violence and sexual pressure in our society here in the UK and around the world.
I don’t have any quick solutions to this massive topic.
Obviously I am passionate that teaching girls about the powers of their menstrual cycle will move us one step closer to empowering women and smashing the patriarchy!
Alongside this, I wanted to share some resources I find helpful when talking about boundaries and sex with the girls and boys in our lives.
- It Happens and their brilliant book Great Questions About Growing Up
- The Porn Conversation is a project helping you talk to kids about porn and this is a great ad from the New Zealand government on why we need to be talking to our kids about this topic
- Sex Positive Families have a fantastic Instagram, as well as a book and run family style puberty workshops
- Amazing Me are and Sarah Sproule are both great Instagram pages
- Love Lily Isobella’s piece on raising son’s who understand consent
Although I haven’t read these books, they come highly recommended
- Sex Is a Funny Word by Cory Silverberg (suggested age 7-10)
- Queer: The Ultimate LQBTQ Guide for Teens by Kathy Belge and Make Bieschke
- Girl Sex 101 by Allison Moon
- Girls and Sex by Peggy Orenstein (suppose to be a great one for parents to read)
On my Period Ready workshops I prepare both the pre-teen and parent/caregiver on what to expect during puberty so our young people can have a positive relationship with their body and period right from the start.